Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Why Go On A Missions Trip?

A year in the planning and it's finally here. 14 people from Kingsway Church will travel to El Salvador this Saturday, July 17 to spend a week ministering to children. They will travel far, live outside their comfort zones, meet new people, form new friendships, experience a whole new level of tiredness, and see how the gospel of Jesus Christ really changes lives.

In looking over the posts from the last couple of years, I'm reminded why it's so important to go on at least ONE missions trip in your life. Getting outside of our box, being stretched, abandoning our comforts and conveniences, and having no other focus except serving, teaches you (well, it's taught me, many times over) what really matters. It's not the job, the amount of money in the bank account, the car you drive, or the house you own. What really matters, when it's all said and done, is Jesus.

Jesus makes the difference in so many lives. In El Salvador, I met people who belonged to gangs, were addicted to drugs, and struggled to find hope and meaning, only to be disappointed with the futility of day to day living. But, then, they met Jesus. The gospel meantt real and lasting change for their lives and circumstances. I met children who were impoverished and malnourished; yet, exhibited a joy that many in our American society would love to possess. Jesus. Knowing Him, loving Him, serving Him is everything. And, isn't that, in the end, what really matters?

It's not that the people I've met are some breed of "Super Christian." They still have struggles - like climbing down a mountain for water, drawing it from the lake and carrying it back up the mountain. They still encounter obstacles in life. But, somehow, seeing their love of Christ, despite their circumstances and difficulties, challenged me to ask again: why, when I have so much, does my love for Jesus pale in comparison to theirs? How can I be so easily persuaded that what doesn't matter (wealth, status, career opportunities, possessions), matters?

Everyone should go on a missions trip, at least ONCE in their lifetime. It will change you! I know because every time I go, it has changed me!

I can't wait to hear the stories of transformation that our team members will share when they get back. Keep visiting this blog! Updates will come from the team as regularly as possible.


From my heart,
Pastor Arlena

1 comment:

michele.frazier said...

Praying for you! So excited for this week and to hear all about it!

Michele