Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Cold Dark Showers

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, we haven't had hot water since we arrived; plus, the lights in the bathroom haven't worked either. BUT, we are all well.

Today was a powerful day of programs. I wish I could describe for everyone the sense of Christ's presence and love that fills the space where the team ministers. To see each of our team hold and hug a child; to put all of God's love into that hug. Words fail me.

Late this afternoon, we did our first food distribution. Before we gave out the food, Pastor Julio allowed our students to do a skit set to music called, "Everything." You could hear a pin drop as Bri played a girl tempted by men (Herbert), money (Nicole), alcohol (Odie), anorexia (Heather), and cutting (Allie). Finally, pushed to suicide she is rescued by Jesus (George). What was special about this skirt was our students asked if we could do it and Pastor Julio approved. Hopefully on Sunday, when we minister in both services, I pray that the same willingness to be used by God is evident.

After the program (did I mention Marco got to share his testimony?) we each handed out bags of food. I can only share from my heart but it was a humbling experience handing food to these beautiful, warm, and generous people.

Tomorrow, we trek straight up the mountain for a full day of programs/ministry and giving out more food. We feel your support and your prayers giving us strength and effectiveness.

Talk to you tomorrow!
Love and blessings,
Pastor Arlena

1 comment:

nfrazier said...

I have my homepage set to the blog, so every morning it is the first thing I read when my computer comes on. It is such an encouragement to me though out the day to read and meditate and join in prayer with what God is doing in and through y'all. Praise God for all that He is doing.